Charlie attended his second birthday party today. The first one was in late summer, last year. We have had lots of family birthday parties, but here I am strictly talking about kids who have invited him to their parties.
He did really well. He was excited about going, he knew what was going to happen and he didn't have a problem giving the child the present, although earlier he wanted to unwrap it until it was explained to him that it was for the birthday boy.
This all gears Charlie up for his very first real birthday party to which kids from school are being invited. Charlie will be seven on Saturday.
Actually, when I think about it, not only was Charlie really well behaved, but he was the only kid not screaming at the top of his lungs and swiping toys from other kids. He wasn't that engaged with the other kids while indoors, but as soon as we all went outside he played more with the other kids, especially grooving on a wonderful rope swing that the kids were taking turns playing on. It was just a long length of rope suspended from a tree, and knotted for hand and foot holds, but to Charlie, it was heaven.
He liked the other child's skateboard. Prior to this year, Charlie might have wanted to take it home with him or cry when it was removed from his grasp, but today he just played with it a little and then said, "You want a skateboard for your birthday with Cars on it?" I got the message. I will be on a search for a Cars themed skate board asap.
I will be sure to write more about how Charlie's party comes off next Saturday.
2 comments:
you seem quite great. and a great outlet for your feelings eh? read 'the curious incident of the dog in the nightime' and count yourself one lucky person
I have read that book, but found that I didn't like it much. I liked Making Peace with Autism much better.
Post a Comment